Day 4 of my cleanse led to a craving for kale and/or brussel sprouts. My oven was already enlisted seasoning cast iron so kale salad it was! I love kale — seems like everyone does now, right? Except I thought I only liked Italian kale also known as lacinato kale, dinosaur kale, Tuscan kale and palm tree kale until I had the kale salad at Carson House this past week. It was the curly kale with pomegranate seeds and very light lemon dressing. It was be far the best item we ate.
I couldn’t understand how this raw kale was soft and chewy but assumed it had been marinated and the recipes I researched suggesting marinating or massaging the kale.
- 4 c kale, chopped into shreds
- ½ c shredded red cabbage
- ½ c shredded carrots
- ¼ c olive oil
- ¼ c rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp honey (or 1½ tsp sugar)
- 2 tbsp slivered almond or
- 1 tbsp flax or sesame seeds
- Put kale, red cabbage, carrots, cabbage into a large bowl.
- Whisk olive oil, rice vinegar and sesame oil together.
- Add honey and whisk again.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well.
- Allow the salad to sit for a minimum of 30 minutes. This salad will last 2 days.